Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2019 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for a Facilities Electrical Engineer. You will perform a variety of engineering, design, protection, maintenance, operations, construction, and modification activities on facility electrical distribution power systems (600-volts and less). This position is in the Systems Engineering & Facility Management Division of the Facilities & Infrastructure Department and may require working at Site 300 in Tracy, California.
This position will be filled at either the TSS.2 or TSS.3 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Execute facility electrical distribution power system engineering studies including load flow, capacity, short circuit, coordination, and arc flash hazard analysis.
- Provide engineering solutions for moderate to complex facility electrical distribution power system design projects for system changes, modifications, and life extensions.
- Review facility electrical distribution power system designs and submittals.
- Respond to information requests in support of facility electrical distribution power system projects.
- Evaluate facility electrical distribution power system installations for conformance with codes and standards for the Electrical Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) initiative.
- Advance facility electrical distribution power systems reliability by evaluating test report data, reviewing and analyzing preventive maintenance data, quantifying repair versus replace decision making, and assisting electricians and technicians with troubleshooting and technical support.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition at the TSS.3 Level
- Conduct root cause analysis of equipment or systems failures using a systematic methodology to determine and correct root causes of problems, unplanned events, and occurrences related to the maintenance and the reliability of facility electrical distribution power systems, electrical components, and electrically operated equipment.
- Perform project coordination duties and provide construction oversight for facility electrical distribution power system projects.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or an equivalent combination of education and previous related experience and demonstrated ability to perform independent work.
- Comprehensive knowledge of facility electrical distribution power systems, utilization equipment, preventative maintenance, operations, testing, troubleshooting, and commissioning.
- Experience performing facility electrical distribution power system applications analysis and studies.
- Experience using AutoCAD and Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- Effective customer service and interpersonal skills necessary to interact effectively with technical, administrative, and management personnel.
- Proven ability to work effectively as a team member.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment, and present and explain technical or operational information.
In Addition at the TSS.3 Level
- Significant experience and advanced knowledge of facility electrical distribution power systems, utilization equipment, preventative maintenance, operations, testing, troubleshooting, and commissioning.
- Advanced technical, analytical, and decision-making skills with the ability to organize and effectively coordinate multiple and frequently conflicting, concurrent tasks, with good follow-through.
- Knowledge of standby power systems, engine-generator sets, and automatic transfer equipment.
- Proven ability to work independently as a highly motivated, self-directed individual with the ability to analyze and solve complex problems.
- Engineer-in-Training (EIT), Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) credential, or professional registration as an Electrical Engineer in the State of California or reciprocity from another state within 12 months.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position. Employees assigned to work at Site 300 may be exposed to the organism that causes San Joaquin Valley Fever (coccidiomycosis).