Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2019 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have multiple openings for Material Engineering Group Leaders. You will provide leadership for R&D activities in Advanced BioManufacturing and BioEngineering. You will have a meaningful role in developing successful careers, building a positive working environment, and developing an extraordinary staff to meet program needs. In addition to the Group Leader role, you will be expected to maintain a technical programmatic project assignment within the division. These positions are in the Materials Engineering Division (MED), within the Engineering Directorate.
- Provide technical and administrative leadership and direction to group members, write performance appraisals, and participate in the MED division ranking and salary management processes.
- Set specific technical strategy and direction for team and identify staffing needs necessary to support Laboratory programs.
- Collaborate with the Engineering Center Leaders and Section Leaders to identify and lead complex technical work assignments for the group members, defining work objectives, tracking project milestones, and obtaining ongoing performance feedback.
- Advise and evaluate staff on the execution of technical work via formal reviews; provide technical updates and presentations to senior leadership, customers, and external sponsors.
- Identify networking opportunities, technical and non-technical growth areas, training and mentoring needs, and opportunities for group personnel, facilitating periodic career development discussions.
- Monitor and influence the work environment to develop employee morale and well-being; recruit, hire, and retain outstanding technical staff.
- Guide the completion of projects and contribute to the development of organizational goals.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree in Optical/Electrical/Mechanical/Chemical/Bio Engineering, Material Science, or related field or the equivalent combination of education and previous relevant experience.
- Advanced knowledge and significant experience in one or more of the following technical areas: advanced materials, design and fabrication of devices such as microelectromechanical systems (MEMS), bioengineering, and micro and nanostructures.
- Significant experience collaborating with technical business partners to identify and lead complex, technical projects including workforce planning, tracking milestones, and providing performance feedback to involved team members.
- Significant experience giving technical presentations and participating in reviews, identifying technical needs, developing practical approaches, and delivering working solutions for program customers.
- Experience leading and managing a team of technical staff, including training, coaching, team building, and career and performance management.
- Advanced communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to effectively present, explain, and advise senior management and external sponsors.
- PhD in Optical/Electrical/Mechanical/Chemical/Bio Engineering, Material Science, or related field.
- Experience with LLNL and Engineering administrative policies, procedures, and design safety practices and standards.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This listing has two openings; these are Career Indefinite positions. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for these positions.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.1 billion, employing approximately 6,800 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.