Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2019 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for a Mechanical Technologist/Sr. Mechanical Technologist. You will develop, test, troubleshoot, evaluate, operate, and maintain experimental, research, and prototype equipment associated with mechanical and/or electro-optic systems within the Optics & Materials Science & Technology program the National Ignition Facility & Photon Science (NIF&PS) Directorate. NIF is a 24/7 operational facility and may occasionally require shift flexibility and some travel to domestic offsite vendors to accomplish goals. This position is in the Laser Systems Engineering and Operations (LSEO) Division, within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either the 533.2 or 533.3 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Fabricate, assemble, and disassemble moderately complex mechanical components and systems.
- Operate related shop equipment, hand tools, and measuring instruments.
- Provide general technical support for a wide variety of activities, including vacuum, electrical, pneumatics, and plumbing/cooling installations.
- Apply fundamental knowledge of materials and manufacturing processes in the solution of moderately complex electro-mechanical problems.
- Use engineering methods to acquire and analyze advanced data and test results using known performance parameters to report results and identify moderately complex problems.
- Produce supporting documentation and graphics using administrative (MS Office), drafting and design (CREO, AutoCAD, SolidWorks, etc.), engineering, and scientific programs on computer systems.
- Perform other duties as assigned including technical writing.
In addition, at the 533.3 Level
- Deploy, fabricate, troubleshoot, assemble, and disassemble complex electro-mechanical components and systems, including planning and selecting materials, equipment, and methods, independently, under minimal supervision.
- Assist in developing test parameters, troubleshooting and testing materials, components, or systems, identifying problems, and providing input on solutions.
- Independently identify, analyze, and evaluate, and report results to complex electro-mechanical problems using individual creativity and judgment; prioritize and provide work and technical guidance to others checking for accuracy, completeness, and function.
- Associate’s degree in mechanical, industrial, or manufacturing or related field, or equivalent the combination of education and previous relevant experience.
- Intermediate skills and knowledge of electro-mechanical technology.
- Experience working with pumps and pumping systems (water, oil, air, and vacuum) and setting up experiments, gathering and analyzing data on large vessels.
- Experience in general operating principles of lasers, mechanical design, fabrication, opto-mechanical mechanisms, operating principles used in vacuum technologies, electronic principles, components and operations.
- Ability to serve in a formal on-call setting, including occasional overtime, weekend work, and/ or domestic travel up to 20% time.
- Experience working safely under standard business practices in a multi-disciplinary team environment, including with well-defined hazards such as chemicals, lasers, and stored energy.
- Effective written, verbal, and presentation communication skills.
In addition, at the 533.3 Level
- Advanced skills and understanding of mechanical technologies and experience working on a technical project team and providing technical direction to others.
- Advanced technical skills and knowledge of engineering principles to solve complex problems using established guidelines, techniques, and procedures.
- Effective written, verbal, feedback, and presentation communication skills.
- Experience in machining, welding, mechanical assembly and de-bugging systems in the solution of complex mechanical problems.
- Familiarity with clean room and cleanliness procedures.
- Experience with electronics, programming, motion controls, electrical, instrumentation, or data acquisition systems (esp. LabVIEW).
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.1 billion, employing approximately 6,800 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.