Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2019 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for a Senior Systems Engineer. You will lead the systems engineering of a major scientific effort called nEXO. This multi hundred-million-dollar project will study the quantum nature of the neutrino, a top priority for the Department of Energy, Nuclear Physics. This large complex detector has many challenges including being a one of a kind, ultra-low radioactivity design, sited 2 km into the earth and requires a highly integrated design. This position is in the National Security Engineering Division (NSED) within the Engineering Directorate and would work with scientists in the Physical and Life Sciences Directorate as well as nEXO collaborators located around the world.
This position will be filled at either the SES.3 or SES.4 level, depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Apply systems engineering principles to the project and in a graded manner to balance resources with identified risk.
- Develop and produce advanced conceptual and detail designs that meet technical requirements.
- Provide engineering solutions for a wide range complex of engineering challenges associated with execution of ongoing activities including the generation of planning documents, reports, and presentations as required to support deliverables.
- Manage project interfaces and deployment interfacing with other organizations internal and external to the Laboratory.
- Lead and/or provide guidance, mentorship, and technical direction to multidisciplinary project teams in a growing, dynamic environment.
- Set broad project vision and strategy and influence technical direction for self and others.
- Provide advanced knowledge and give significant direction in complex mechanical design and analysis.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In addition, at the SES.4 Level
- Work with project director to establish a vision and strategy for implementation of highly advanced project management and systems engineering principles across all elements of the nEXO collaboration.
- Lead all project planning functions for development, integration, and deployment at all sub-system levels to ensure successful project execution.
- Apply highly advanced engineering solutions and technical analysis to develop and implement creative solutions to resolve highly complex technical and programmatic issues.
- Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Systems Engineering or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and previous relevant experience.
- Advanced knowledge and skills in complex system engineering
- Significant experience in project planning and providing technical leadership and managing, overseeing, and delivering complex projects on budget and on schedule independently and under minimal direction.
- Significant experience in complex mechanical design and analysis and prototype development and testing.
- Significant experience developing and implementing creative solutions to a diverse range of complex problems and leading corrective actions where necessary.
- Ability to lead, manage, and mentor junior team members.
- Advanced communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills with proven ability to present concepts and ideas in a clear and coherent manner, both verbal and written for presentation and interaction with other technical staff members and advisement of senior management and/or external sponsors.
- Ability to effectively manage parallel tasks and resolution of conflicting work requirements and prioritization of tasks toward pre-determined long-range targets.
In addition, at the SES.4 Level
- Subject matter expertise in highly advanced system engineering.
- Highly advanced experience managing, overseeing, and delivering moderate sized, highly complex projects on budget and on schedule.
- Expert communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to present, explain, and advise senior management and/or external sponsors and strong track record of team building and conflict resolution.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.1 billion, employing approximately 6,800 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.