Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2019 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for a roofer. You will perform roofing modifications, alterations and maintenance services to all LLNL facilities. You will perform basic journey-level skills in the roofing trade including inspection, maintenance and repair of roofing systems on both permanent and temporary facilities at LLNL. This position is in the Facilities & Infrastructure (F&I) Department and perform work at the Site 300 location in Tracy, CA.
- Perform maintenance and repair of membrane, flashings, and surfacing on a variety of in-place systems, including conventional built-up roofing (BUR), with gravel, smooth or mineral granular surfacing and other systems such as thermo-plastic, singly-ply, sprayed in place polyurethane, modified bitumen, architectural/structural and fluid applied systems.
- Repair and replace failed systems components with both hot-applied or cold process materials to assure continued waterproofing performance.
- Layout work within close tolerance and analyze task assignments for details in fabrication and installation of materials.
- Work from blueprints and sketches.
- Prepare standard reports, permit requirements, deficiency forms and preventive maintenance work requests.
- Effectively and safely use materials, power tools and hand tools utilized in the roofing trade and drive motor vehicles; operate forklift and overhead cranes.
- Provide strong customer service and adhere to deadlines.
- Responsible and accountable for performing tasks in accordance with all safety regulations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma, GED, or equivalent. Completion of apprenticeship training program and/or full-time, journey-level work experience in the roofing trade, including proficiency in the use of hand tools and power tools of the trade.
- Basic journey level skills, knowledge and abilities in the roofing trade and experience in industrial/commercial type roof maintenance and repair. Experience in roof systems inspection and ability to recommend repair techniques when necessary.
- Experience using Motion Stopping Systems (MSS) or fall arrest systems and a working knowledge of the requirements for fall protection.
- Proven ability to analyze task assignments for details of materials and experience and proficiency in layouts and installation and ability to read blueprints.
- Demonstrated customer service skills, effective communication skills, and the ability to work independently and as a team member interfacing well with others. Demonstrated effective writing and basic computer skills.
- Basic knowledge of ES&H and OSHA laws and regulations.
- Possess a valid California Driver’s License and ability to lift up to 85 pounds on occasion, climb both fixed and portable ladders, become medically qualified to wear respiratory and protective equipment, and operate forklift and incidental crane. Ability to work scheduled and/or emergency overtime
- Knowledge of asbestos in roofing systems and training combined with experience working with roof systems that contain asbestos.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Employees assigned to work at Site 300 may be exposed to the organism that causes San Joaquin Valley Fever (coccidioidomycosis).
The Laboratory performs a variety of work, including some that may fall under Davis Bacon Act requirements. When work scope falls under this Act, the Laboratory complies with the prevailing wage requirements.