Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to conduct research in the field of Surface Science. You will develop and implement advanced surface science characterization of actinide and lanthanide materials and will be expected to make contributions in one or more of the following areas: direct LLNL programmatic areas, Laboratory Directed Research and Development projects, and other externally funded materials related activities. This position is in the Actinides and Lanthanide Science group of the Materials Science Division.
- Perform fundamental and applied experimental work in the field of actinide (including uranium and plutonium) and lanthanide surface science.
- Participate in understanding the fundamental surface and interface properties using state-of-the-art surface analysis instrumentation and analysis techniques.
- Contribute to and actively participate in the conception, design and execution of research to address defined problems.
- Pursue independent but complementary research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to the Laboratory.
- Collaborate with scientists in a multidisciplinary team environment to accomplish research goals.
- Maintain and establish laboratory protocols.
- Document and publish research in peer-reviewed journals, and present results within the DOE community and at conferences.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Recent PhD in Analytical Chemistry, Solid-State Physics, or Materials Science or related field.
- Experience in the use of secondary ion mass spectrometry, x-ray photoelectron spectroscopy, auger electron spectroscopy.
- Experience with theory and modeling of surface chemical reaction mechanisms and kinetics.
- Experience performing independent research in surface catalysis.
- Ability as an innovative experimentalist with a broad range of experience in experimental design, techniques and execution.
- Ability to develop independent research projects through publication of peer-reviewed literature.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills as reflected in effective presentations at seminars, meetings and/or teaching lectures.
- Initiative and interpersonal skills with desire and ability to work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment
- Knowledge of quantitative surface analysis methods and procedures.
- Flexible application of skills, knowledge and abilities for changing materials-related challenges.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a two year Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years. Eligible candidates are recent PhDs within five years of the month of the degree award at time of hire date.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.