Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for a Group Leader to lead the High Energy Density (HED) Physics and Inertial Confinement Fusion (ICF) Program Engineering Group. You will provide safety, security, and administrative leadership for the group, while collaborating with Division and Directorate leadership to coordinate group staffing and recruiting. This position will require you to fund your own time through programmatic work. This position is in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED), within the Engineering Directorate.
- Provide technical mentorship, leadership, safety, security, and administrative supervision to group members in the execution of their work scope.
- Facilitate the recruitment and hiring of new staff as needed to meet division and programmatic staffing needs.
- Monitor performance required to meet programmatic milestones and deliverables and identify areas of emphasis each year to foster staff development. Prepare annual performance appraisals for group personnel and contribute to the division ranking and salary processes.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for communications between group members and division management, reporting directly to the Associate Division Leader for Fielding Experiments and Strategic Partnership Programs.
- Contribute to long-term HED and ICF programmatic efforts by providing a broad vision and strategy and influencing technical direction.
- Provide subject matter expertise in the area of HED/ICF operations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree in Aerospace, Electrical, Mechanical, or Systems Engineering or related field or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Expertise in engineering project leadership, including work planning, scheduling, cost estimating, risk analysis, and reporting.
- Subject matter expert knowledge in the area of HED/ICF operations.
- Significant experience and familiarity with the National Ignition Facility (NIF).
- Significant experience working effectively as part of a management team on behalf of the division and directorate.
- Expert leadership skills including problem solving, mediation, and building trusting relationships.
- Expert written and verbal communication skills, specifically the ability to explain and present highly complex ideas, as well as to advise individuals at all levels of management.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Security Clearance: This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at time of hire.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite or At Will appointment. Only Laboratory employees with Career Indefinite or At Will status may apply for this position. If final candidate is an At Will employee, At Will status may be maintained based on funding considerations.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.