Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for a Counterintelligence (CI) Cyber Specialist to provide technical knowledge in support of the Laboratory’s compliance with Department of Energy Order 475.1 (Counterintelligence Program). This position is in the Information Technology Operations (ITO) Division within the Computing Directorate, matrixed to the Counterintelligence Program Office.
- Identify, prevent, and exploit the intelligence activities of foreign powers, terrorist groups, international criminal organizations, and other foreign entities that seek to do harm to LLNL, the Department of Energy (DOE), and the US Government (USG).
- Investigate cyber events with a CI nexus and cyber component contained within CI inquiries and investigations.
- Work with CI Program Officers and Analysts to create reports and presentations to inform and contribute to the national cybersecurity community.
- Contribute to the development and application of new tools and methodologies to enhance the CI Program’s investigations and analysis.
- Track international cyber threats and trends relevant to the Laboratory, DOE, and the USG.
- Perform development, documentation, training, systems administration, and support for CI software and hardware.
- Provide awareness briefings to LLNL, DOE, and other USG agency employees regarding the foreign intelligence cyber threat.
- Interact with various cyber, intelligence and programmatic groups within LLNL, DOE, and the United States Intelligence Community (USIC).
- Contribute to the development and implementation of improvements to software and hardware in support of the Counterintelligence Program.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Broad experience assessing and quantifying cyber security risks, utilizing analytical and research skills effectively to develop solutions.
- Comprehensive experience in defending networks and sensitive information against targeted cyber- attacks using knowledge of current cyber threats against, and cyber security policies and cyber security controls of the USIC and USG.
- Comprehensive analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills to develop creative solutions to complex problems.
- Experience and comprehensive knowledge of the skills needed for a customer support role which include a focus on listening, rapport-building, good communication skills, friendly and approachable nature, courtesy and patience, and negotiating and influencing skills.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to collaborate in a team environment and document, present and explain complex technical information to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Ability to effectively manage concurrent technical tasks with conflicting priorities, to approach difficult problems with enthusiasm and creativity and to change focus when necessary, with experience working independently.
- Exercise independent judgement to define, develop, and implement original solutions to complex problems of a broad and diverse scope at the team, directorate, or institutional level.
- Ability to secure and maintain CI-scope polygraph.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. Also, you must have the ability to obtain and maintain Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI) access.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.1 billion, employing approximately 6,800 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.