Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for a Biomedical Scientist with experience in Microbiology and/or Molecular biology. You will execute experiments to identify antibodies and small molecules that inhibit viral entry and replication. This position is in the Biosciences and Biotechnology Division.
- Perform expression of antigens and antibodies using mammalian expression systems.
- Maintain and perform experiments using viral and cell cultures.
- Conduct biochemical and protein binding assays such as SDS PAGE, ELISA and protease activity assays.
- Provide solutions to problems of moderate complexity that require creative use of established and/or innovative methods.
- Maintain laboratory notebook and communicate results with relevant team members.
- Contribute to basic lab maintenance (restocking, waste removal, organization etc.)
- Participate in preparing for annual safety inspections and maintaining a safe laboratory environment.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors Degree in Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry or related field or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge of and experience with sterile techniques, culturing and maintenance of microbiological and tissue cultures, and media preparation.
- Comprehensive knowledge of molecular biology techniques (ELISA, microscopy, protein purification, SDS PAGE, immunostaining and immunoprecipitation).
- Ability to perform basic laboratory maintenance (restocking, waste removal, organization etc.)
- Proficient written, verbal communication and interpersonal skills necessary to deliver presentations, prepare written reports and to interact with a diverse set of scientists, engineers, and other technical and administrative staff.
- Ability to carry out experiments in Biosafety Level 2 laboratory.
- Ability to work and troubleshoot independently.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: None required.
However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.