Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for a Quality Assurance/Quality Control (QA/QC) Chemist. You will work with the Environment, Safety & Health (ES&H) Analytical Laboratory to assure analytical data and processes meet appropriate quality control standards. This position acts as the American Industrial Hygiene Association - Laboratory Accreditation Program (AIHA-LAP), LLC and CA ELAP designated Quality Manager. This position is in the Environment, Safety and Health (ES&H) Directorate’s Assurance Management Office.
- Provide oversight to ensure that the ES&H Analytical Laboratory (ALAB) is compliant with AIHA-LAP, LLC and CA ELAP requirements to maintain accreditation under ISO-17025 and CA ELAP and prepare periodic QA/QC reports for management.
- Prepare quality and evaluate control (QC) charts for a wide variety of analyses and sample types.
- Perform estimated measurement uncertainty calculations and trend analysis.
- Prepare QC samples for laboratory analysis and perform complex analyses and evaluation of QC data.
- Implement and maintain QC standards. Develop and maintain quality assurance (QA) procedures.
- Identify and report QA issues and problems to management and make recommendations to resolve.
- Represent the organization QA/QC related activities with outside auditors and assists with audit preparations. Audit laboratory operations, procedures, methods, logbooks and deficiency resolution.
- Perform internal performance evaluation (PE) testing of analyses when an external PE provider is not available. Coordinate external proficiency testing.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in chemistry, or other applicable applied science, or the equivalent combination of education and significant related experience and demonstrated ability to lead independent work.
- Ability to become qualified as an analyst, data reviewer, and approver for the analysis performed in ALAB.
- Knowledge of analytical certification systems, such as ISO 17025, AIHA, California State Environmental Laboratory Accreditation Program (ELAP), NELAC and DOELAP. Significant experience and advanced knowledge in analytical QA/QC programs and experience preparing QC samples for laboratory analysis.
- Ability to provide statistical trending of analytical data, high quality analytical standards, and spike samples.
- Advanced analytical, decision-making and problem-solving skills to evaluate, interpret, negotiate, recommend and implement actions/solutions to complex problems.
- Effective and efficient organizational skills to coordinate multiple and frequently conflicting, concurrent tasks, with good follow-through.
- Significant experience working independently and in a team environment with a broad cross-section of people and organizations, managing complex projects, and meeting schedules.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information and provide advice to management.
- Knowledge of gas proportional and liquid scintillation counting and atomic spectroscopy methods.
- Familiarity with SOFTWARE QA involving classification, characterization, risk grading, verification, and validation of software utilized in chemical and radiological laboratories
- Capability to obtain radiological worker 2 qualification.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) L-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. L-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.