Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have multiple openings for a Hydrodynamic Design and Test Group Leader of a multidisciplinary group consisting of about 8 to 10 engineers. These positions are in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED), within the Engineering Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either the SEL.4 or SEL.5 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Provide overall technical, safety, security, and administrative leadership for group activities.
- Maintain a constructive and collaborative working relationship with the other Hydrodynamic Design and Test Group Leader(s) and with the customers that the group members support.
- Apply expert technical knowledge and methodologies to develop new ideas, modify approaches, and/or redefine customer requirements that impact organizational operations or directions.
- Lead and participate in engineering design reviews by acting as a chairperson, panel member, or reviewer while upholding the Engineering principles .
- Foster staff development and participate in hiring activities for the group and the division.
- Develop requirements, designs, project scope, costs, schedules, and risk plans to field and execute projects focused on programmatic equipment and/or unique custom program equipment that requires collaboration with subject matter experts (SMEs) to write statements of work and their integration with real property (facility).
- Prepare annual performance appraisals for group personnel and contribute to the division ranking and salary processes.
- Perform special assignments in support of Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) programs as requested by division management.
- Provide guidance and engineering support to DTED personnel as appropriate to assist them in providing programmatic support. Serve as a liaison between manufacturing support and WCI programs.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition at the SEL.5 Level
- Influence strategic technical decisions made by senior management and external customers.
- Mentor staff across the organization, including other mentors.
- Serve as organization spokesperson by Laboratory management and/or external advisor by sponsors.
Qualifications - Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field or equivalent combination of education and related experience. - Significant knowledge of, or experience with, engineering hardware design, fabrication, testing, and fielding. - Significant experience providing effective leadership and direction to technical staff members in a team environment. - Significant knowledge of, or experience with, design applications employing high explosive materials and the associated DOE safety requirements. - Significant experience in mechanical engineering project leadership, including work planning, scheduling, cost estimating, risk analysis, and reporting. - Expert communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to present, explain, and advise senior management and/or external sponsors. - Ability to obtain and maintain currency as a Derivative Classifier with knowledge of hydrodynamic test and nuclear design expertise. - Ability to obtain and maintain currency in the Laboratory Human Reliability Program (HRP).
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at time of hire.
Note: This listing has multiple openings; these are Career Indefinite positions. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for these positions.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.