Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher, with a focus on developing advanced optical velocimetry diagnostics. You will work on HED-materials (EOS, structure, constitutive properties, and transport properties) related experiments using laser-driven compression techniques. This position is in the High Energy Density (HED) Dynamic Material Properties group, within the High Energy Density Physics Section of the Physics Division.
- Participate in the development and testing of advanced optical velocimetry diagnostics.
- Participate in the design and performance of experiments and conduct new experiments for the purpose of studying the physics of high-density matter, equation of state, strength, transport and kinetics.
- Develop and implement new models and computer algorithms to understand the properties of HED materials and their behavior in hot or dense matter.
- Function as an independent researcher with a high level of attention to detail.
- Document and publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences seminars and/or technical meetin
- Maintain professional and institutional visibility through participation in conferences.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Recent PhD in physics or related field.
- Knowledge and practical experience with advanced optical diagnostic techniques.
- Experience in applied physics, high-energy-density physics, high-pressure physics, condensed matter or astrophysics
- Accomplishments in experimental science.
- Ability to perform independent research, find innovative solutions and produce significant accomplishments to scientific and technical problems.
- Experience working on a research team with individuals from diverse technical backgrounds, as well as function as an independent researcher with a high level of attention to details.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to work in a multidisciplinary team environment, author technical and scientific reports and publications and deliver scientific presentations.
- Documented publication record in peer-reviewed literature and presenting research results to a large audience.
- Optical wavefront measurement and/or optical phase retrieval methods and/or velocity interferometry.
- Experience with developing new experimental techniques and/or algorithms required to understand matter in new regimes.
- Understanding of condensed matter and/or high energy density (HED) physics
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: None required.
However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
Note: This is a two year Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years. Eligible candidates are recent PhDs within five years of the month of the degree award at time of hire date.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.