Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have multiple openings for Project Managers to provide support for the W80-4 Life Extension Program (LEP) and W87-1 Modernization Program (MP). You will work with technical leads in Engineering and Project Controls to enable effective execution of applicable technical work scope. You will also manage cost, schedule, and risk of that efforts within the LEP/MP. You will educate and guide the technical leads on proper project management techniques. These positions are in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED), within the Engineering Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either the TSS.3 or TSS.4 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Apply advanced systems engineering and project management principles to multiple complex technical projects at any given time and in a graded manner to balance resources with identified risk.
- Provide in-depth guidance to technical staff to identify and evaluate engineering standards and procedures to improve overall process efficiency.
- Monitor the progress of work and the impact of changes by working as a liaison between technical staff and the Program Office.
- Make decisions related to schedule, cost, or institutional process implementation.
- Work cross functionally to build fully functional and controlled teams and work processes and be responsible for end-to-end process maps.
- Mentor and lead Principal Investigators (PIs) / Lead Engineers in the development of work proposals, statements of work, project plans, and project risk assessments and responses, and in the use of sound project management practices in accordance with established policy.
- Perform complex analysis tasks independently, working towards goals and objectives.
- Plan large efforts requiring collaboration with multiple disciplines. Develop project plans including task estimation.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition at the TSS.4 Level
- Train and mentor team members on diverse topics. Establish technical project direction and requirements for others.
- Prepare project plans including task estimation. Facilitate and interact with internal resources to complete project activities.
- Prepare technical process strategies and plans to all levels of management.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Advanced knowledge of the processes involved in hardware design, fabrication, testing, qualification, and deployment.
- Significant experience in control account management and associated processes, with a thorough understanding of integration points with other functional areas.
- Experience applying strong analytical and problem solving skills to practical business outlooks such as forecasting, cost/benefit analysis, and trending. Ability to devise engineering solutions for unique and complex problems.
- Ability and flexibility to reprioritize and change programmatic direction depending on emergent requests.
- Significant experience in project management of complex, technical projects (especially R&D) including organizing, managing, and tracking scope, schedule, budget, and risk.
- Ability to lead, manage, and mentor junior team members.
- Effective written and verbal communication and negotiation skills necessary to communicate with multidisciplinary team members and influence outcomes.
In Addition at the TSS.4 Level
- Experience as a supervisor or team leader implementing business solutions and knowledge of project management practices.
- Experience developing research plans for data gathering and analysis, developing integrated project analyses, and designing and implementing improvements.
- Expert communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to present, explain, and advise senior management and/or external sponsors and record of team building and conflict resolution.
- Master’s degree in Engineering or related field.
- Familiar with DOD 5000 and NNSA 6.X acquisition processes.
- Program Management Professional certification/license.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This listing has multiple openings; these are Career Indefinite positions. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for these positions.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.