Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have multiple openings for an Electronics Engineering Technical Associate to support programmatic mission at the Contained Firing Facility (CFF) and Outdoor Firing Facility (OFF) at Site 300. You will provide electronics engineering technical support to the firing facilities operations and lead a technical team through explosives operations. This position is in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED), supporting the Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Principal Directorate.
- Provide advanced and innovative electronics engineering support for experimental systems projects to modify existing complex equipment and/or create new diagnostic equipment for hydrodynamic test execution, data acquisition, firing operations, and routines.
- Propose new electronics and/or controls designs to replace obsolete or aging hardware.
- Provide technical oversight in design, evaluation, review, fabrication, testing, assembly, quality policy implementation, and documentation of experimental systems projects using a high degree of independent discretion and judgement.
- Provide input for detailed plans, schedules, and budgets for project activities.
- Initiate, prepare, and lead design reviews, meetings, and other briefings in the process of determining concepts and refining designs, including authoring detailed technical procedures and other documentation.
- Collaborate with scientists, engineers, technical personnel, safety personnel, both inside and outside the work group on both an individual and team basis in support of program assignments.
- Interact closely with the S-300 Lead Electronics Engineer, System Engineer, and Lead Diagnostics Engineer on technical concepts through project completion.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electronics, Engineering Technology, or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Advanced skills and experience with leading multidisciplinary teams through hazardous operations. while maintaining a high degree of safety and data quality.
- Knowledge of electronic engineering theory design, fabrication, and/or assembly.
- Experience conducting and/or participating in engineering design reviews, participating in electronic systems operations and design, analyzing results, writing reports, writing and following detailed procedures, and/or making presentations.
- Experience developing conceptual designs of electronic systems; designing, implementing, and/or testing prototypes; and advanced knowledge of the associated tools and diagnostics.
- Experience with project planning, budgeting, or resource planning.
- Effective interpersonal skills and experience working both independently and as a member of a multidisciplinary team in a schedule-driven environment. Effective technical written and verbal communications skills with ability to present concepts and ideas in a clear and concise manner.
- Experience working with electronic diagnostic equipment, initiation systems for high-explosives, and/or working with and around high-voltage and high-current equipment.
- Experience working with classified materials, documentation, and/or experimental data, and working within a Quality Assurance-driven program.
- Experience with timing and firing systems.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at time of hire.
Note: This listing has multiple openings; these are Career Indefinite positions. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for these positions.