Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to work in the area of molecular biology working with a team that is studying bacterial pathogenesis and protein structure/function; dynamic imaging techniques and molecular and cellular scales are being developed and applied to reveal the molecular mechanism of host-pathogen interactions. You will conduct experiments aimed at understanding the molecular function and cellular role of proteins implicated in host-pathogen responses. This position is in the Biosciences and Biotechnology Division.
- Conduct research in biophysics, microbiology, molecular biology, or related fields.
- Conduct work with proteins, bacteria, and eukaryotic cells for structure/function studies and live cell imaging experiments.
- Design and develop research projects focused on addressing defined problems.
- Present formal and informal overviews of progress in experimental work at regular meetings.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences seminars and/or technical meetings.
- Maintain and establish laboratory protocols, an accurate and detailed laboratory notebook including complete records of experiments.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in Biophysics, Molecular Biology, Genetic Engineering, Microbiology or related field.
- Experience with recombinant protein expression and purification.
- Experience with biophysical characterization of proteins.
- Experience with bacterial cell culture.
- Experience working on basic research projects and the ability to understand and analyze experimental results.
- Ability to develop independent research projects as demonstrated through publication of peer-reviewed literature.
- Proficient verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills to collaborate effectively in a multidisciplinary team environment and present and explain technical information.
- Experience with tissue culture and protein crystallization.
- Experience with preparing samples for electron microscopy and preparing cell samples for fluorescence microscopy
- Experience with computer programming
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: None required.
However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Note: This is a two year Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years. Eligible candidates are those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.