Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to conduct research at the intersection of nuclear structure and reaction theory. You will actively participate in the development of an integrated structure and low-energy reaction theory for stable and exotic nuclei. Your collaboration will contribute in an important way to the successful implementation of a Laboratory-funded project integrating structure and reaction theory. This position is in the Nuclear Data & Theory group of the Nuclear and Chemical Sciences Division.
- Conduct research in low-energy nuclear structure and reaction theory for both stable and exotic nuclei.
- Contribute to and actively participate in the development and implementation of an integrated structure and reaction theory framework for stable and exotic nuclei.
- Design and carry out applications demonstrating the new framework.
- Collaborate with the Nuclear Data and Theory group and with external researchers. - Pursue independent research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internal and external to LLNL. - Participate in the design and implementation of experimental proposals, in close collaboration with experimentalists.
- Document research; report research results via publications in peer-reviewed journals and conference presentations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in theoretical physics or related field.
- Experience in theoretical nuclear physics, applied to low-energy nuclear structure and/or nuclear reaction phenomena.
- Ability to work effectively in a collaborative and multidisciplinary team environment.
- Contribute to proposal submissions within the Nuclear Data and Theory group.
- Experience developing computer software for theoretical physics problems.
- Experience in Fortran, C, C++, or equivalent computer programming languages.
- Ability to perform independent research and find innovative solutions to scientific and technical problems.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills needed to effectively present and explain results of scientific research in presentations at seminars, meetings and journal publications.
- Experience with research concerning the integration of nuclear structure and reaction theory.
- Familiarity with quantum many-body methods and techniques applied to nuclear physics.
- Record of publications in peer-reviewed journals and experience presenting research results at conferences and/or invited seminars.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: None required.
However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Note: This is a 2 year Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of 3 years. Eligible candidates are those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.