Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for an experienced Immigration Specialist. You will collaborate with hiring managers, foreign nationals and internal and external counsel to provide immigration services that adhere to federal laws and regulations, support HR activities and strategic initiatives and promote operational excellence in support of institutional mission objectives and programmatic needs. This position is in the International Services Office within the Talent Acquisition Division.
- Consult with and provide guidance to hiring departments and foreign nationals on a broad range of immigration matters utilizing and applying comprehensive knowledge of immigration-related laws, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Liaise with internal and external counsel, department management/administration, and foreign nationals to analyze, plan, strategize, and execute nonimmigrant and immigrant visa matters.
- Prepare petitions, applications, and correspondence to be sent to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), Department of State (DOS) including U.S. Embassies and Consulates abroad, and Department of Labor (DOL).
- Proactively respond to client requests regarding the immigration process; and provide regular progress reporting to hiring departments, foreign nationals, and SHRM partners.
- Act as an authorized representative in connection with the employment eligibility verification process.
- Track critical dates associated with filing deadlines and status/employment authorization expiration dates.
- Provide input on effective practices and continuous process improvement; and facilitate new program or practice development and implementation.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Human Resources or related field or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge of appropriate federal laws, regulations, policies, procedures, and guidance as they pertain to nonimmigrant (e.g., B-1, E-3, F-1, H-1B, J-1, O-1, and TN) and immigrant (e.g., EB-1 Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researcher and EB-2 National Interest Waiver) matters, and permanent residence applications.
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience applying relevant legal requirements and policies/practices to manage immigration matters independently to DHS, DOS, and DOL.
- Experience related to planning, organizing, and meeting timelines associated with deadlines for immigration filings.
- Analytical and problem solving skills; and the ability to anticipate problems, identify discrepancies, and make decisions.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills to explain processes and procedures, compose correspondence, and prepare reports.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and appropriately handle sensitive communications with foreign nationals, internal hiring departments, and external organizations.
- Experience developing and maintaining effective working relationships with governmental agencies, all levels of management, and foreign nationals.
- Extensive knowledge of federal, state, and local laws pertaining to employment including the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Knowledge of DOE/NNSA requirements related to foreign visitors and assignments.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: None required.
However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Note: This is an At Will appointment. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position. Anticipated lenght of assignment, up to 1 year.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.