Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for a Custodian Senior Supervisor. Under minimal direction, you will have technical, administrative, and supervisory responsibility for managing and coordinating the work of custodians. You will interact with coworkers, supervisors, clients, Environmental Safety & Health technicians, other craft personnel, vendors, and regulatory agencies. May be required to perform occasional work at Site 300 in Tracy. This position is in the Infrastructure Engineering and Operations Department.
- Supervise, manage, direct, and coordinate the work of the custodian group in general housekeeping, floor finishing, carpet cleaning, and other assignments in support of the various facilities at LLNL.
- Provide full technical, administrative, and supervisory responsibility which includes personnel actions and administration of policies and procedures for a work unit, personnel related functions including interview and selection of hires, performance evaluations, ranking, salary recommendations and promotions.
- Analyze data and prepare and present reports, provide input for budgets and schedules, conduct resource and workload management and training.
- Coordinate work with other disciplines, building and programmatic personnel, plan and schedule work assignments, set priorities, make commitments related to assignments and routinely interpret guidelines and procedures.
- Serve as a point of contact on all communications between the group and facility management personnel, building clients, ES&H personnel, senior management, vendors and regulatory agencies. Ensure customer needs/issues are resolved and communicated in an effective and timely manner.
- Serve as point of contact on all communications between the group and the management team and participate fully in management team decision making and goal setting. Maintain good working relationships with clients and management.
- Provide specific on-the-job training of custodial duties and other tasks including managing and maintaining stock (i.e., meeting customer requests, equipment maintenance, over time and meeting customer backlog).
- Perform all assignments in accordance with ES&H, security, and business practice requirements and policies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- Extensive advanced specialized skills, knowledge and abilities in custodial tasks including all tasks of Custodain 1 and Custodian 2 and Custodian Leads.
- Advanced knowledge of related application of ES&H codes, laws, and regulations; and administratvie, supervisory, equipment and tools training.
- Technical, administrative and leadership skills and experience including independent decision making, workload scheduling, manpower utilization, and budgeting; ability to interpret and implement personnel policies and procedures, disciplinary actions, and complete performance appraisals.
- Ability to provide effective direction and adjust work activities to meet changing requirements as well as motivate, train, develop and provide guidance with an emphasis on teamwork.
- Experience evaluating job hazards, and establish safety standards to assure the public, worker, and environment are protected from adverse consequences.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills, as well as customer service skills, necessary to supervise a team and interact tactfully and diplomatically with all levels of scientific, technical and administrative personnel.
- Basic knowledge and experience with personal computers and related software (e.g., email, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, etc.).
- Ability to work a variety of shifts, including scheduled and emergency overtime work that may take place in various buildings and areas of the Laboratory.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a valid California Driver's License.
- Knowledge of LLNL Policies and Procedures.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position. Employees assigned to work at Site 300 may be exposed to the organism that causes San Joaquin Valley Fever (coccidiomycosis).