Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for a customer-oriented Design Drafter to perform the duties of a security alarm station designer and estimator. You will define project requirements, develop conceptual designs and cost estimates. This will include solving moderately complex technical problems, regularly collaborating with electricians, vendors, security application developers and high-level technical personnel, both internal and external to the Security Organization. The Alarms and Access Control Group (AACG) is responsible for selecting, implementing, and maintaining the field systems associated with physical security at LLNL. Field systems include all system components (hardware and software) from the sensors to the Argus Network. This position is in the AACG within the Security Organization and requires periodic overtime, working flexible work hours (if required) and may require periodic travel to Site 300.
• Apply innovative technical expertise to develop moderately complex conceptual and detailed designs for the field components of the Argus Security System.
• Responsible for ensuring designs are consistent with relevant standards and requirements, including NEPA, NFPA, Safeguards and Security Engineering and Computations (SSEC) Policies and Procedures and other Laboratory requirements.
• Develop and implement technical and administrative solutions to physical security issues and insure completion of project requirements in collaboration with engineers, security administration, electricians and high-level technical personnel.
• Create new, and modify existing, designs for security alarm stations using the Argus Configuration Database and User Interface (DBUI).
• Develop and present estimates for budgets, schedules and manpower needs to Security Program Representatives, Security Administrators, scientific staff and management for AACG job order requests.
• Develop sketches, site drawings, building drawings and mechanical and electrical schematics and details using AutoCAD, Visio or the latest CAD software. Design electrical wire way systems and branch conduits and electronic circuits to support security systems and applications.
• Responsible for ensuring all installation tasks can be performed in accordance with ES&H regulations and procedures, Integrated Safety and Security policies and within Property Management guidelines during the design phase.
• Perform Argus Map Administrator functions to maintain security system background drawings utilizing AutoCAD drawing libraries and compiling drawings for presentation on Dispatcher consoles.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Associates degree in an Engineering Technology discipline or equivalent combination of experience, education and/or training.
• Advanced knowledge of CAD/PLM practices, techniques, standards and procedures in preparing CAD objects.
• Experience identifying, analyzing, and providing solutions and alternative approaches to moderately complex design problems.
• Knowledge of National Electrical Code (NEC), National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), and OSHA Safety Regulations used to perform tasks in compliance with Environmental, Safety & Health regulations.
• Advanced knowledge of discipline-related technologies, and significant experience applying, AutoCAD to prepare site, building and electrical drawings.
• Experience with computers and software, including MS Office products and FileMaker Pro to create reports, spreadsheets, and drawings.
• Participation in the Laboratory’s Human Reliability Program is required (HRP).
• Possess effective written, verbal feedback and presentation communication skills.
• Communication and interpersonal skills necessary to effectively interact with a variety of personnel and the ability to use tact, diplomacy and discretion when dealing with customers. Must be customer focused.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at time of hire. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.