Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have openings for a Scientific Associate. You will collaborate with senior technical personnel and scientists to provide complex technical support and leadership in environmental monitoring, compliance sampling, and equipment repair and installation. This position is within the Environment, Safety & Health (ES&H) Directorate.
- Collaborate with a staff of scientific technologists/associates, including work planning and scheduling, training, regular meetings, mentoring, and preparing and revising instructions and procedures.
- Independently provide environmental sampling direction and support ES&H operations including the: wastewater monitoring and diversion system, stack emissions monitoring, ambient air monitoring for particulate and water vapor (tritium), soil and sediment sampling, Real-Time Radiation Monitoring Network, and meteorological towers.
- Act as Responsible Individual for Work Control Plans associated with environmental sampling.
- Provide on-the-job training to qualify staff to safely and securely perform environmental sampling activities.
- Coordinate work activities with team, supervisor, Programmatic Areas, Responsible Individuals, and Facility Managers.
- Respond to 24/7 Sewer Monitoring Complex (SMC) alarms.
- Ensure assignments are performed in accordance with ES&H, security, and business practices, requirements and policies; ensure staff adhere to LLNL’s Integrated Safety Management System (ISMS) and Environmental Management System (EMS), effectively communicating expectations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental science, engineering, or a related field; or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience directing and performing environmental field sampling in a schedule-driven team environment effectively, with knowledge of standard environmental sampling equipment and procedures for air, water, soils, or vegetation.
- Experience programming and applying software such as LabView, Geographical Information Systems, or Logger Net to collect or analyze field data.
- Experience applying and trouble-shooting on-line, real-time monitoring systems, or programmable sampling equipment with demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to organize work to manage and perform multiple work tasks in a high pressure, time limited environment.
- Understanding of the application of work control or work permitting procedures for employee health and safety.
- Verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively write, present, explain and communicate complex technical information to all levels of personnel.
- Ability to lift and transport up to 30 lbs.
- Significant experience in compliance monitoring instrumentation or on-line systems.
- Experience with meteorological stations, radiological measurements, or Geo-Positioning Systems.
- Experience installing and testing electronic wiring systems.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.