Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for a Computational Scientist to perform research and development on parallel multigrid solvers for linear and nonlinear systems of equations on high performance computers in support of the Laboratory’s national security mission. You will work as a member of the HYPRE team with computational mathematicians and computer scientists, including collaborators internal and external to the Laboratory, to advance the state of the art in large-scale simulation on modern architectures. This position is in the Center for Applied Scientific Computing (CASC) Division within the Computing Directorate.
- Conduct research on multigrid methods for the solution of large-scale systems of equations on high performance computers.
- Develop and implement multigrid algorithms and optimizations for advanced architectures, such as GPUs.
- Contribute to the development of the HYPRE software library.
- Provide solutions to complex problems that require in-depth analysis of multiple factors and the creative use of established methods; prioritize many complex parallel tasks.
- Provide guidance and support to users of the simulation tools and algorithms developed.
- Conduct independent research and collaborate with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to accomplish research goals and serve as the primary technical contact on specific projects.
- Present and disseminate research results at scientific conferences and in peer-reviewed publications.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ph.D. in Applied Mathematics, Computational Science, or a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Advanced knowledge of multigrid methods and numerical mathematics.
- Significant experience programming in C/C++ in a Linux environment utilizing MPI parallelism.
- Significant experience in applying HPC knowledge to new computational domains and applications including critical infrastructure.
-Experience with the HYPRE software library.
- Significant experience working independently while effectively managing concurrent technical tasks with competing priorities.
- Ability to understand new application domains and problems and identify underlying mathematical and algorithmic solutions.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to collaborate effectively in a team environment, author technical and scientific reports and publications, deliver scientific presentations, and provide advice to management.
- Experience with GPU acceleration of numerical algorithms.
- Experience with scientific computing applications.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.