Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
The Materials Engineering Division (MED) is seeking Optical/Mechanical Technologist to support Optics Fabrication. The qualified technologist(s) must be able to work in a research and development environment and handle high-value optics and optical assemblies. The technologist will perform duties under close supervision and report to the Manufacturing Section Supervisor.
This position may require the successful candidate to have the flexibility to work overtime, to accomplish goals. The successful candidate will be required to pass various on-site training modules to pursue work assignments. The successful candidate will work closely with Engineers, Physicists, Customers, and other Technicians.
This position will be filled at either the 533.2 or 533.3 level, depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Handling of large (up to 30 lbs.) valuable optics.
- Process small (Less than 1mm) and large optics to (20”) using mills, saws, grinders, polishers. to meet customer’s requirements. This may involve hand working and standing for long periods of time.
- Clean, inspect and properly package Optical components for delivery.- Utilize various measuring devices such as calipers, micrometers, Interferometer, test plates, spherometer to complete metrology.
- Under general supervision, work with customers to find out the best course of action to achieve best efficiency in solving their issues.
- Think creatively in designing moderately complex tooling for various jobs including radii and angles required.
- Collaborate with team to share knowledge of various R&D projects that come through the shop including taking.
- Perform all assignments in accordance with ESH&Q, Security, and business practice requirements and policies.
-Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional Duties, at the 533.3 Level:
- Think creatively in designing highly complex tooling for various jobs including radii and angles required.
- Under minimal supervision, work with customers to find out the best course of action to achieve best efficiency in solving their issues
- Associate degree in Optical or Mechanical technologies, or equivalent level of education and related experience.
- Intermediate experience with production technologies, including evaluating and testing processes.
- Experience performing work deliberately, carefully and safely.
- Ability to lift up to 50lbs and stand for long periods of time.
- Experience working within deadlines to perform multiple tasks and communicate effectively with managers and customers.
- Experience following detailed procedures and accurately record process parameters.
-Intermediate experience with database, data manipulation skills, personal computers and associated software.
- Experience working in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and changing priorities.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to effectively interact with a diverse group of personalities and disciplines.
Additional Qualifications, at the 533.3 Level:
- Advanced experience with database, data manipulation skills, personal computers and associated software
-Advanced experience with production technologies, including evaluating and testing processes.
-Effective written, verbal, feedback and presentation communication skills.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.