Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have multiple openings for graduate level students who are a part of the Predictive Science Academic Alliance Program III (PSAAP III) to perform discipline-focused research needed to help further predictive science enabled by effective extreme scale computing. This internship will run 10-12 consecutive weeks, between April and October, 2021. Our goal is to develop and demonstrate technologies and methodologies to support effective extreme computing in the context of science/engineering applications. You will provide technical and/or research support to projects in the areas of computational science, computer science, numerical methods, mathematics, or other related fields.
- Students will work with Scientists and Engineers doing research in assigned area.
- Under minimal supervision, will participate in research in assigned area.
- Gather and analyze data or information in support of scientific research.
- Make an oral or poster presentation on the outcome of their research activities.
- Students should expect to spend approximately 40 hours a week working on their research projects or participating in the provided professional development opportunities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be a continuing college or university student in good standing at an accredited institution pursuing a graduate degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, or other related fields.
- Must be an active member of the Predictive Science Academic Alliance Program III (PSAAP III).
- Demonstrated academic achievement in scientific curriculum.
- Experience applying advanced computational science and/or mathematical principles to solve technical problems.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: None required.
However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.) receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
Note: This is a Temporary Student Intern appointment. This assignment is for a full-time position during the summer academic break. Refer to the Scholar Program website at https://scholars.llnl.gov/ for additional student employment information. Salaries are based on student academic level. Selected applicants will be required to provide transcripts.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.