Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for a Senior Engineering Supervisor to lead the Laser Systems Engineering Design Group. You will work independently by collaborating with scientists, engineers, and top-level technical personnel to provide highly advanced technical and management expertise in mechanical and electrical engineering design to support the National Ignition Facility & Photon Science Directorate (NIF&PS). The group is composed of supervisors, engineering associates, and designers, where you will have a critical role in fostering successful careers creating a positive and inclusive working environment and providing an outstanding and diverse staff to meet program needs. In addition to the Sr. Supervisor role, you will be expected to maintain a full-time programmatic project role/assignment in the NIF & PS Directorate. This position is in the Laser Systems Engineering and Operations (LSEO) Division, within the Engineering Directorate.
- Lead, supervise, and provide technical and administrative guidance to group members, write performance appraisals, and participate in the LSEO division ranking and salary management processes.
- Provide highly advanced technical expertise in design with the ability to identify and address issues as they arise.
- Collaborate with the NIF&PS Directorate leaders to identify and manage the work assignments for the group members, define work objectives, and obtain ongoing performance feedback.
- Advise and evaluate staff on the execution of technical work, provide performance feedback, identify staff networking opportunities, provide training and coaching, and facilitate regular career growth and development discussions, including plans and goals.
- Monitor and influence the work environment to foster employee morale and well-being; recruit, hire, mentor, and retain outstanding technical staff.
- Lead and participate in formal and informal design reviews; provide guidance to group members on engineering excellence using Engineering Safety notes in accordance with Engineering Design Safety Standards, industry best practices, systems engineering, and project management.
- Manage workforce projection working with programmatic managers to meet staff availability and training needs, using this information to help develop a vision for the group.
- Establishes and/or modifies guidelines, techniques, and procedures, choosing the appropriate work methods and sets priorities
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in a field of engineering technology or equivalent combination of education and previous relevant experience.
- Highly advanced skills, knowledge, and ability in a field of engineering design.
- Significant experience giving technical presentations and participating in design reviews, identifying technical needs, developing practical approaches, and delivering working solutions for program customers.
- Significant experience with LLNL and Engineering administrative policies, procedures, and design safety practices and standards.
- Highly advanced verbal and written communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to lead a team, present and explain technical information and administrative policies and procedures, advise/inform senior management, and promote situational awareness.
- Experience in and interpersonal skills to lead/supervise project teams, mentor, negotiate win-win solutions, team building, and provide customer service.
- Ability to manage emotions in positive ways to communicate effectively, empathize with others, overcome setbacks, and defuse conflict.
- Experience in payroll supervision, preparation of performance reviews, ranking and salary management, and knowledge of Engineering Directorate policies and procedures.
- Experience interacting with and satisfying customer needs in a highly technical setting.
- Experience in project management including personnel and procurement planning.
Security Clearance: This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at time of hire. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.