Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for a Nondestructive Evaluation (NDE) Academic Graduate Appointee. You will work under the guidance of NDE staff members to perform experiments and data analysis in the areas of structural and materials characterization and synthesis process development for projects that support national security programs. This position is in the Materials Engineering Division (MED), within the Engineering Directorate.
- Work under general guidance of nondestructive evaluation staff engineers in areas such as x-ray imaging and computed tomography, ultrasound characterization (including laser-based ultrasound), electromagnetic (including microwave frequency measurements) and optical characterization (including interferometry and holography).
- Conduct, analyze, and present data from experiments to develop and improve the understanding of structures, materials, and processes.
- Determine solutions to technical problems of limited complexity involving the characterization of objects and fabrication processes by reviewing scientific and technical literature and experimental techniques.
- Disseminate results, including methods developed, and keep current on materials and structural characterization methods.
- Collaborate with scientists, engineers, and technicians to accomplish research goals.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Materials Science and Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Physics, Electrical Engineering or related field.
- Experience in Materials Science and Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Physics, Electrical Engineering, or related field gained through coursework, training, and/or work experience.
- Experience conducting experiments related to the processing and characterization of materials.
- Sufficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment, document analyses and prepare, present and explain technical information and publications.
- Strong initiative, interpersonal skills, creativity, and ability to work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment.
- Experience with several characterization and data evaluation techniques.
- Familiarity with materials and structural specifications.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Note: This is a one-year Academic Graduate Appointee. Eligible candidates are those who have been awarded a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree at the time of the employment offer.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.