Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for Maintenance Mechanic Shop Supervisor. You will have technical guidance responsibility for managing and directing the day-to-day work activities of skilled trades by performing administrative functions including, establishing priorities, setting schedules and coordinating work. In addition, the Shop Supervisor will serve as the administrative payroll supervisor responsible for performance management. The position is in the 24/7 Shift Maintenance Operations Group within the Infrastructure Engineering and Operations Department.
- Supervise and coordinate the work of the various skilled trades engaged in the installation, repair, alternation, operation and maintenance of plant facilities, utilities, and infrastructure.
- Coordinate work with planners, schedulers, other shops, building and programmatic personnel; define scope of work, efforts required, and materials needed for work requests, schedule work assignments, solve problems and make decisions all while ensuring work is carried out safely and effectively as scheduled and in high quality.
- Serve as a point of contact between the management team and team/shop workers and participate fully in management team decision-making and goal setting.
- Establish goals and measurements for productivity in craft work processes and make appropriate adjustments; coordinate work with other shift supervisors.
- Implement work control process by serving as a Responsible Individual RI/Work Supervisor responsible for day to day work activities of assigned matrix personnel ensuring that the work is performed in accordance with the Work Permit, Skill of the Craft and Competent Worker Qualifications.
- Provide input in the investigation and completion of documents related to accidents/incidents, and performance management soliciting technical advice from subject matter experts as necessary.
- Interpret and apply LLNL policies and procedures pertaining to performance management of skilled trades personnel, including but not limited to; constructive and timely feedback to employees, training and personnel actions including hiring, discipline, dismissal, salary adjustments, documentation and interviews.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Extensive journey level work knowledge, abilities, and work experience in a relevant skilled trade or equivalent experience in facilities management, maintenance or construction.
- Technical, administrative and leadership skills with experience in independent decision making, problem solving, workload scheduling, and effective workforce utilization with a strong emphasis on teamwork.
- Ability to interpret and implement personnel policies and procedures, disciplinary actions, and complete performance appraisals.
- Ability to provide effective direction and adjust work activities to meet changing requirements as well as motivate, train, develop and provide guidance with an emphasis on teamwork.
- Advanced knowledge and experience in the application of ES&H laws and regulations, including evaluating work hazards and establishing safety standards to assure the public, worker, and environment are protected from adverse consequences.
- Effective customer service and communication skills necessary to interact effectively in writing and verbally with all levels of technical and administrative personnel
- Proficiency using personal computers and related software programs and applications.
- Ability to work different shifts and obtain and maintain a valid California driver’s license.
- Experience leading a team, writing performance appraisals, executing disciplinary action, and managing employee problems effectively.
- Knowledge of the function and operation of the F&I Department and of LLNL’s ES&H and security policies and procedures.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite or At Will appointment. Only Laboratory employees with Career Indefinite or At Will status may apply for this position. If final candidate is an At Will employee, At Will status may be maintained based on funding considerations.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.