We have an opening for a Program Leader for Production Development (PLPD), in the Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Principal Directorate. WCI is a complex, multi-discipline, multi-program directorate with a $1.5B annual funding portfolio supporting over 2000 employees. You will be responsible for leading Production Development and work to create production enclaves as a vehicle to re-envision the Design Agency (DA)–Production Agency (PA) partnerships within the National Security Enterprise (NSE), with the goal of accelerating discovery to deployment timescales for advancing our material and component options for future nuclear stockpile modernization efforts. You will be a member of the WCI management team, leading the implementation and the operation of production in support of the successful delivery of WCI’s programs and major projects. The PLPD will interact with WCI program personnel, high-level internal managers, partner national laboratories, external sponsors, Laboratory support organizations, the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA)/Department of Energy (DOE), and LLNL senior managers. The PLPD will report to the WCI Deputy Principal Associate Director for Program Planning and Execution.
- Provide technical leadership and act as a focal point to establish a new approach to DA–PA partnerships and the associated transition of new production processes and technologies.
- Develop strategic plans to integrate manufacturing modernization, materials, approaches to accelerating qualification and certification, and the deployment of new materials and manufacturing methods into the NSE, in collaboration with WCI program elements, Lab directorates, the NNSA production plants, and the broader NSE.
- Responsible for ensuring that production projects are aligned with the needs of our current and future, stockpile modernization efforts and maintain the high standards of technical quality and fiscal management required for our mission.
- Develop and manage both internal and external strategic relationships to enable the success of our first Polymer Production Enclave and explore the opportunities for future production enclaves and other manufacturing initiatives.
- Prepare briefings to the Principal Directorate Office, sponsors, major committees, and review groups, in collaboration with WCI senior staff.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- B.S degree in physical sciences, engineering, related ST&E field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Strong understanding of nuclear weapons and the role of the production complex in delivering nuclear weapon systems.
- Experience working both Design Agencies and Production Agencies to deliver major projects and working with project management.
- Extensive experience working under multiple deadlines and resolving conflict.
- Extensive experience building relationships and negotiating toward and influencing favorable results for the team and the organization.
- Extensive knowledge of Laboratory programs, policies, and procedures.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Extensive leadership and program management experience.
- Extensive experience working in a senior management team environment and demonstrated high-level situational awareness and organizational management skills.
- Expert ability to work with and maintain effective working relationships with a broad cross-section of management, technical and administrative personnel.
- Extensive experience dealing effectively at high levels within internal and external organizations and constituencies, such as the NNSA/DOE, DOD, and other organizations.
Security Clearance: This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at time of hire. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite or At Will appointment. Only Laboratory employees with Career Indefinite or At Will status may apply for this position. If final candidate is an At Will employee, At Will status may be maintained based on funding considerations.